Namibian Visas


IBN Immigration Solutions is always ready to answer your queries, provide expert advice regarding all your immigration matters and facilitate your immigration applications to ensure the smooth transition of your employees and their family into Namibia, and from Namibia to other parts of the world.

We offer tailored solutions to corporate, as well as individuals, who require assistance of an expert in immigration into and out of Namibia. At IBN, we offer more than a service, we offer solutions.

Our Services cover:

Business visa

A person who wishes to conduct a visit to Namibia of a “business nature” will need to obtain a business visa. By “business nature” one means: to attend corporate meetings (ie. Board meetings), seminars, conferences, training courses and so forth.

Such visa does not allow to take up employment. It is issued for a single entry and up to 90 days per annum. However, in practicality, there is a strong tendency for such visa to be allocated for a much shorter period.

Applicants from visa exempt countries can apply for a business visa at port of entry, while applicants from non-visa exempt countries need to apply in their home country, before entering the territory.

Short term work visa (90 days)

A person who wishes to work for a relatively short period of time (3 months or less) will need to obtain a short term work visa.

There short term work visa is valid for 3 months and the processing time of a short term work visa is approximately 14 working days, plus an additional 3 working days for the endorsement of the visa into the passport.

Long term work visa

A person who wishes to work for a period longer than 3 months will need to apply for a long term work visa. This type of visa is generally issued for 1 or 2 years and it can be renewed, should the employment contract need to be renewed or extended.

The processing time of a long term work visa is approximately 3 to 4 months.

Study visa

If one is entering the country for the purpose of studying for primary or tertiary education, there are 2 options:

1. Study Visa

Usually issued for 3 months, aimed typically at students who are attending school/university ffor a short period of time, such as is characteristcally associated with educational exchange programs. 

2. Study Permit

This permit is applicable to those studying for more than 6 months and is normally issued for a period of 12 months. 

The application process for both the above have similarities with the work visa application in the sense of the parents of the “student” are requested to provide a “letter of undertaking” in support of the applicant.

It is also important to note that if students are accompanying their parents / legal guardians who might be working or visiting the country, these students will also need to apply for study permits. 

Accompanying visa

A spousal visa applies only to married heterosexual couples therefore, to benefit from an accompanying visa the accompanying applicant must be married to the main applicant and be of different sex. The accompanying applicant may not be employed under this visa.

Tourist/holiday visa

A tourist visa is for people who only wish to visit and tour Namibia.

Visa-exempt passport holders will get a 90 days tourist visa at port of entry.

Non visa-exempt passport holders will need to obtain a tourist visa prior to leaving their country at the Namibian representation; should there not be a Namibian representation in their country of residence, they can contact an immigration agent in Namibia who will obtain a visa on their behalf which will be endorsed by the applicant at the port of entry. For passport holders from visa restricted countries a tourist visa can be issued for a period varying from 2 days to a maximum of 90 days.

Investor’s visa

A person who wishes to establish a new company in Namibia – be it through the setting up of a Namibian close corporation or by investing in a Namibian company – will need to go through the complex process of obtaining an investor’s permit, which requires obtaining numerous authorizations from various departments.

The duration of the investor’s visa is usually 2 years and remains at the entire discretion of the Ministry of Home Affairs and Immigration.